General Education Blocks at Palm Springs and Desert Hot Springs

Desert Hot Springs-Wenzlaff

11625 West Drive, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240

Palm Springs Temporary Campus:

1300 E. Baristo Road, Palm Springs, CA 92262


College of the Desert is pleased to commit to a guaranteed two-year General Education (GE) schedule at the Palm Springs and Desert Hot Springs locations. Upon completion, students earn a certificate of achievement meeting the GE requirements to transfer to many four-year institutions including the California State Universities (CSU) and the University of California (UC) schools.

Students may choose from convenient Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday afternoon schedules. These flexible schedules allow students to take a full-time course load while also incorporating major coursework during the day, evening, or weekend at our many campus locations, or online.

These afternoon classes also allow local high school students to engage in concurrent enrollment opportunities and earn college credit while still in high school.

College of the Desert will offer the following classes on either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday afternoons as soon as in-person instruction commences.

Palm Springs Blocks:

Monday and Wednesday

English Composition (or other alternatives),
History of Rock and Roll (Music),
US History
Mon and Wed, 12:30-5:50 pm

Tuesday and Thursday

Public Speaking,
Spanish I or General Psychology
Tues and Thurs, 3:00-5:30 pm

Desert Hot Springs Block:

Tuesday and Thursday

English Composition,
History of Rock and Roll (Music),
US History
Tues and Thurs, 12:30-5:50 pm

Student Enrollment Services:

  • Free Tuition Opportunities

  • Registration Support

  • Online Counseling Support

  • Student ID Cards

  • Financial Aid Services

  • Support Events/Food Pantry Services

Student Academic Services:

  • Tutoring and Academic Skills Center

  • Free Online Tutoring 24/7/365

  • Library Services and Textbook Reserves

Guaranteed Two-Year Schedule:

  • Convenient Monday/Wednesday and Tuesday/Thursday afternoon schedules

  • Complete all GE classes and earn a certificate of achievement

  • Priority enrollment given to recent PSUSD graduates

  • Priority enrollment given plEDGE/EDGE students

How do I enroll?

The first step to enrolling at College of the Desert is to complete the COD online application by visiting the COD homepage, and clicking on the green and white "Apply Now" icon. If you are having difficulty with the online application, support is available. You may email the EDGE team at, or the West Valley Enrollment Services Specialist team at and support will be ready to assist you.

Is there online help for registration?

Students interested in the West Valley General Education pathway, or any other College of the Desert program, should schedule an appointment with a Counselor to discuss all degree and certificate options. To schedule an online appointment, visit the counseling website or call 760-773-2521.

What are the key benefits to the General Educational Block program?

  • Guaranteed Schedule for Completion
  • Two-day 4-5 Hour Afternoon Blocks
  • Two convenient locations in Palm Springs and Desert Hot Spring
  • Complete all GE Transfer Courses
  • Earn a Certificate of Achievement in General Education

Is there a fee?

Eligible students may attend tuition-free by participating in plEDGE. Non plEDGE participants pay standard tuition and fees.

What is COD's plEDGE program?

The plEDGE program provides high school graduates (or equivalent) from the Coachella Valley with two years of free tuition and fees.

How do I qualify for the plEDGE program?

To qualify for the tuition-free plEDGE, students must participate in the Summer 2020 EDGE. The 2020 Summer EDGE is completely online, and will be held at various times. To see all EDGE dates, visit the COD homepage and select the plEDGE icon, or visit the plEDGE site.

Is the certificate transferable to CSU's and UC's?

Students earning a General Education (GE) Certificate of Achievement meets the GE requirements needed to transfer to UCs, CSUs, and many other four-year institutions.