Frequently Asked Questions​

Show All Content

There are two types of federal financial aid available at College of the Desert: grants and work-study. A grant (Pell or SEOG) is money that does not need to be paid back. Federal Work-Study consists of a part-time job on or off-campus that provides income to help students pay for educational expenses.

A California College Promise Grant (formerly known as BOG) is an enrollment fee waiver provided by the state of California to California and AB 540 residents attending a California community college. This state fee waiver was designed to provide educational assistance for eligible students by waiving the enrollment fees. Students can apply by completing the BOG Enrollment Fee Waiver application form and/or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or DREAM ACT(AB 540 Only). Students may qualify for the CCPG based on the receipt of certain forms of public assistance, by meeting specific income standards or by completing the FAFSA/Dream Act and having "financial need". This is the most accessible form of all financial aid programs offered at College of the Desert.

You must complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to the federal processor. You can do this electronically at and you will receive confirmation. Do not forget to list College of the Desert (COD) on your FAFSA so that the College will receive your information electronically. COD’s Title IV School Code is 001182.

After the Financial Aid Office receives an electronic version of your financial aid application, the office will send you a missing information email notification for any additional documents (or information) that are needed to help complete your financial aid file. If you receive no email notifications requesting additional information or if no required documents are listed on the Financial Aid Self-Service, then please allow 2-4 weeks for the Financial Aid Office to process your information and award your financial aid. You are encouraged to regularly check the Financial Aid Self-Service for updates.

Verification is proving that the information you reported on the FAFSA or California Dream Act is correct. The Dept. of Education (California Student Aid Commission for the California Dream Act) notifies the Financial Aid Office which files to audit. Usually, verification begins by submitting a photocopy of your and your parent's federal tax return transcripts and a verification worksheet. Additional information may be requested to resolve missing or conflicting information which will most likely delay the completion of your file. An email sharing that you have missing documents will be sent to you via your MyCOD email, along with the link to login to your Student Self-Service to review the missing documents of your file.

No. You may be eligible for most federal and state financial aid if you attend school at least half-time (6 units or more), although the amount of financial aid received may be prorated according to the number of units a student is enrolled in at the time of the disbursement of aid.

Generally, Pell Grant recipients receive three disbursements each semester. Work-Study students are paid once a month via a paycheck or direct deposit. For more information on disbursements please go to the Disbursement Information page.

It depends upon your family's income, assets and other information supplied on the FAFSA. The maximum Pell Grant for 2018-2019 is $5,920 and Work-Study awards are up to $6,000 per year.

Not necessarily. Applicants who apply for Federal financial aid and who are under the age of 24 when they complete the FAFSA, are considered to be dependent; unless the student:

  • is married at the time of application for federal student aid funds.
  • is a graduate or professional student.
  • has legal dependents (other than a spouse). This is defined as any children who get more than half of their support from the student. It also includes other people who live with the student and get more than half of their support from the student, and will continue to get that support during the upcoming school year.
  • is a veteran and has been engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard) or are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and were released under a condition other than dishonorable.
  • is a ward of the court or both parents are deceased.
  • is an emancipated minor as determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence.
  • has been determined to be an unaccompanied youth who is homeless.

Usually 2-4 weeks depending if additional information is needed to complete your file, such as federal tax return transcripts. For more information on disbursements please go to the Disbursement Information page.

800-4-FED-AID / 800-433-3243

Note: If you provided an e-mail address, your SAR will be sent to you electronically.

We do not recommend that you quit your job unless you truly feel that you cannot work and go to college at the same time. Financial aid is meant to supplement, not supplant, a student’s income. You may also be eligible for scholarships or a work-study job.

Students may submit a FAFSA application as early as October for the following academic year. Students that apply by March 2 may qualify for a Cal Grant and may receive priority consideration for several types of Federal financial aid. Students should apply for assistance as early as possible.

Yes. Students applying for financial aid and receiving federal financial aid need to bemaintaining "satisfactory academic progress" (SAP) at College of the Desert.

Provided that you maintain satisfactory academic progress, you may receive Federal financial aid until you exceed 150% of the published length of an eligible program in which the student is enrolled. Students in 60-unit AA/AS programs or planning to transfer to 4-year schools will need to complete their studies by the time they earn 90 units. Please note, students are only eligible for Pell for 6 years, referred to as 600%. Once you have hit this, you will no longer be eligible for additional Pell funding.

Yes, you are required to re-apply each October.

No. COD no longer participates in Financial Aid Consortium Agreements with other colleges. Students cannot receive federal financial aid at two different colleges at the same time. If you are attending another college and are receiving financial aid from their institution, please come to the Financial Aid Office to complete a closed file form.

After a student receives a Financial Aid Award Notification Letter from the COD Financial Aid Office and classes have begun for that term, the student can expect to receive his/her financial aid funds in accordance with the disbursement schedule. Students need to ensure they select their preferred refund method before receiving their disbursements.

Your financial aid award could change. Please review the Drops, Withdrawals and Repayment page or call the Financial Aid Office for more information.