Cal-Vet Fee Waiver
California Department of Veterans Affairs
College Fee Waiver Program for Veterans Dependents
The California College Fee Waiver benefits the spouse and children of U.S. veterans. Students meeting the eligibility criteria may get their college fees waived if they attend a California Community College, a California State University, or University of California campus.
To be eligible, students must:
- Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled, proof may be required); or
- Have a spouse or domestic partner who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled. (If using Plan A, DD-214 required)
- Be a child earning less than $12,119 per year (AY 2014-2015) (student’s income, not parents’).
- NOTE: there is no income limit for a spouse, domestic partner or children of S/C deceased or 100%.
- Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
- Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth, marriage or domestic partnership certificate.
- Applicants to the program that are required to submit proof of income, such as a copy of the previous year's tax return, must be submitted with your application.
- If the student had no income, a statement to that effect can be obtained from either the Franchise Tax Board or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Request for Transcripts
Form 4506-T. You can call the Franchise Tax Board at 800-852-5711, or call the IRS at
- For more information, see the Calfornia County Veterans Services Office website
- To download the form, click on: Application
For more complete eligibility information and assistance in applying for this benefit, please contact:
Please note: the form must be submitted to the County Veterans Services Office.