An SI Leader assists students in understanding course material, interpreting lecture notes, and reinforcing course material by leading workshops directed at increasing student comfort and familiarity with the course. SI Leaders attend all class meetings for their designated course, take notes, review homework and all assigned class material to ensure a shared awareness of the classes’ progression. Multiple SI workshops will be held outside of scheduled class time at an assigned location for approximately 1 hour, up to three times a week. In addition, SI Leaders will be expected to attend training sessions prior to the start of the semester, and hold weekly office hours. A prospective SI Leader can expect a commitment of 10 hours a week per assigned course (expect in weeks where holidays and semester breaks occur).
· Responsible for attending training orientation prior to each term, and remain in steady contact with the SI Coordinator.
· Required to attend the assigned course, be in contact with the instructor regarding course materials, and direction, and make periodic announcements in class about the availability of SI sessions to the students.
· Assist with department data analysis. SI Leaders must ensure that all feedback forms (survey, midterm survey, and end of term survey) are distributed and collected. Attendance data for each SI session must be collected and given to the SI coordinator at the end of each week.
· Hold regular office hours.
· Above all, SI Leaders must model professional behavior to students and staff and handle issues such as class standards, grades, and student complaints in an appropriate manner.
· Prior success in the desired course with a grade of “A” or “B”.
· Good interpersonal and communication skills are required.
· An instructor recommendation from the instructor of the targeted course.
· HS Diploma and/or other degree
· Previous experience either as a tutor, or participation in SI sessions