General Education Patterns
Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum for UC and CSU
Completion of all the requirements in the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (I.G.E.T.C.) will permit you to transfer from College of the Desert to a campus in either the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) without the need, after transfer, to take additional lower-division general education courses to satisfy campus general education requirements. Completion of I.G.E.T.C. is not a requirement for admission but does fulfill a requirement for graduation at a CSU or UC campus. Completion of the IGETC is not a requirement for transfer to a CSU or UC, nor is it the only way to fulfill the lower-division, general education requirements of the CSU or UC prior to transfer. Students may find it advantageous to take courses fulfilling CSU's general education requirements or those of a particular UC campus. The course requirements for all areas must be completed before I.G.E.T.C. can be certified. After final grades are posted, you must request I.G.E.T.C. Certification at the same time that you request final transcripts to be sent to your chosen transfer campus(es). The I.G.E.T.C. must be certified prior to transfer. All courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better. For more information, please see a Counselor.
- CSU General Education
General Education Certification Course Pattern:
- Students who plan to transfer to a CSU campus may complete their lower division General Education requirements for graduation at College of the Desert.
- Students may follow the CSU General Education Certification pattern, which is accepted by all CSU campuses in most majors to fulfill these requirements.
- To be fully certified, students must complete a minimum of 9 units each in Areas A, B, C, and D, and three units in Area E.
- At least 30 of these units must be completed with a grade of "C" or better, including the 9 units in Area A: Communication in the English Language; and 3 units in Area B-3: Mathematics.
- General Education Certification is not automatic and must be requested by the student at the same time their transcripts are requested to be sent to the California State University following the posting of final grades.