Academic, vocational and disability counseling are available with a DSPS Counselor on an appointment basis to achieve the following:
- Disability verification
- Accommodations determination
- Faculty notification
- Personal support and skills development
- Referrals for internal and external services (sign language interpreting, closed captioning, mobility aid, note taker, etc.)
Meet our Counselors...coming soon.
The Tutoring & Academic Skills Center (TASC) and DSPS High Tech Center provide tutoring services for DSPS students.
High Tech Center (HTC)
The HTC is a state-of-the-art assistive technology computer lab where students with verified disabilities can learn to access adaptive hardware and software technologies. These technologies allow students to increase productivity, work independently and foster academic success in their regular college curriculum. Services include:
- Open Lab
- Access to assistive technologies
- Mentoring and support
Courses that provide classroom and computer laboratory support are taught in two main courses that focus on: 1) learning the basics of access to a wide variety of software, hardware and assistive technologies to assist in the learning process; and 2) development of alternative strategies of learning that are based on the student’s individual learning challenges.
Adapted Physical Education Courses
The courses that have been adapted for students with disabilities include:
- Physical Activity (weight training & fitness program)
Proctored Examination Services
A center is made available for students who qualify for extended time on examinations and/or the need to take examinations in a distraction reduced environment.
Learning Disability Assessment
Students may be referred to the specialist who conducts extensive testing over a couple of days to determine if the student has a specific learning disability. Those who are assessed to have a learning disability are provided with supportive services and accommodations for the classroom setting.
WorkAbility III (WA III)
WorkAbility III is a program that provides services for students such as Career Counseling, Job Seeking Skills Training and Job Development through a contract with the California Department of Rehabilitation. Services include:
- Funding of required adaptive technology and some educational expenses not already covered by financial aid
- Course work and assessments to support career exploration and the development of job search skills and job retention
- Individual assistance in employment preparation, including resume writing, job seeking and interview skills practice and training
- Job placement and development
- Employment follow-up
WA III Forms:
Click here for the Department of Rehabilitation Referral Form to WorkAbility III
Click here for the Master Job Application form
For a referral to WorkAbility III, please contact your DSPS Counselor.
For more information, please contact Donald O’Loghlin at (760) 776-7406.
TRiO SSS DSPS
TRiO SSS DSPS is a program for students that plan on obtaining an Associate Degree and transferring to a four-year institution. For more information, please call (760) 636-7974.