VALID PROPERLY DISPLAYED PARKING PERMITS are required to park in any College of the Desert parking areas Monday through Thursday 7:30 am to 10:00 pm and Friday 7:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Semester Permits are $20 for Fall and Spring Semesters. There is no charge for motorcycles. There is no charge for parking in student lots during the summer.
Daily Permits are $1.00 and may be purchased at the permit dispenser in Lot 4 (near the Cafeteria) Lot 28 (South end), Lot 23 (near Ag Science) or Lot 14(Softball field). Place permit with date side up on the top of your dashboard, just in front of your steering wheel. Daily permits are valid in any student lot.
- Permits MUST BE PROPERLY DISPLAYED or you will be cited.
- Permit sticker must be adhered to lower right corner of the FRONT windshield on the passenger side. (Lying on the dashboard is not properly displayed and could result in a citation.)
- On a valid hanger suspended from the rear view mirror with the sticker easily visible and facing forward. Hanger is available at the Bursar's Counter for $1.
PERMIT HANGERS are not recommended.
However, if you choose to use a permit hanger, it is your responsibility to ensure that the permit is clearly visible. You may display sticker on a valid hanger suspended from rear view mirror with sticker number facing forward.
- Use of hanger is at your own risk.
If you forget to hang your permit or if it falls down you may be cited.
- If your permit is turned around, flipped up, or obstructed in any way (windshield tint or shade cover, objects on mirror, etc.) you may be cited.
- If your permit is lost or stolen you should immediately report it to the Bursar's Office. It is full price for a replacement sticker.
- You are responsible for securing your vehicle. Permits are frequently stolen when windows are left partially open.
Permits are numbered and registered when sold. Do not purchase permits from any other source! If you are approached by an individual wishing to sell a permit, contact Security 341-2111 (or 2111 from any campus phone). The permit may be reported as LOST, STOLEN or COUNTERFEIT. It is a felony to possess lost, stolen or counterfeit permits.
Motorcycles may park in any student space in any student lot, or in any designated motorcycle parking.
Staff members may additionally park a motorcycle in any staff space in any staff lot.
for COD students is available in Lot 7. COD students may not use the Public Library Lot at any time for any reason. COD students must purchase a semester permit or a day permit and park in a student lot even if they are using the Public Library.
DISABLED PERSONS SPACES:
College of the Desert has several Disabled Person parking areas which are marked with the traditional blue sign and symbol. Vehicle must display a California DMV issued handicapped placard or license plate. Vehicle may park in any space not designated for special parking i.e.: carpool parking; staff parking; etc. Handicapped space is designated by blue borders. The placard owner must be present in the vehicle when you park.
If you park in any regular parking space (not designated handicapped) you must have a College of the Desert parking permit.
Disabled parking spaces are strictly enforced at COD. DP plate numbers and DP Placard serial numbers can be computer checked to obtain the name, sex, and birth date of the placard’s legitimate holder.
- The DMV issues a placard identification card with the placard. This identification card must be carried by the placard owner and shown to security officers upon request.
- The citation fee for parking illegally in a Handicapped Space is $275. A person using a DP placard or plate illegally is also subject to misdemeanor arrest, which carries a fine of up to $1,000 and/or six months in jail. (4461, 22507 CVC)
Any car which is parked in violation of the College of the Desert parking regulations may be issued a parking citation. Parking citations are issued in accordance with Section 23113 of the California Vehicle Code. By California law, the registered owner of a vehicle is liable for all citations issued to that vehicle.
TO PAY BY MAIL:
Place check/money order payable to College of the Desert in the envelope to:
College of the Desert
c/o Parking Citation Service Center
PO Box 11923
Santa Ana, CA 92711.
TO PAY IN PERSON:
Bring citation with cash, credit, check/money order to the Bursar's Counter. (Check office hours 568-7510.)
Payments not made within 21 days are subject to additional $30 penalty for each violation. The total citation fee will be forwarded to the Department of Motor Vehicles to REFUSE REGISTRATION of the vehicle until all penalties are paid (4760 CVC).
You may request an Administrative Review of a citation within 21 days of the issue date (40215 CVC). After 21 days, citation may not be contested and must be paid.
- Fill out the Contest of Parking Violation Form available at the Bursar's counter or college website.
- Indicate why the vehicle was not in violation.
- Include copies of any documentation to support your claim (documents will not be returned).
- Include your citation or reminder notice.
- Mail all information to:
College of the Desert Bursar's Office
43500 Monterey Avenue
Palm Desert, CA 92260-2499
- Fine is placed on hold until a decision is made. Review results will be mailed.
- The following are NOT valid reasons to contest a citation:
- My permit fell down.
- My permit was lying on the seat.
- I was only parked there a few minutes.
- I drove a different car.
- Someone else was driving my car.
- I didn’t see the signs.
- I couldn’t find another place to park.
- My teacher said I could park there.
- Student parked in Public Parking to go to Public Library.